2. ‘Disability Matters’: the role of personal tutors for inclusive teaching and learning. Suanne Gibson.

Suanne starts her essay with a statement that I feel supports my rationale for this project. ‘…tutors need to show a greater understanding and awareness of the lived experiences of undergraduates students with disabilities and use their own knowledge to facilitate inclusive teaching strategies.” (2012 page 61).

I am interested in investigating the impact of the teaching role on their students. This will start by researching how UAL is educating its teachers with the right tool to provide inclusive teaching strategies.

The evidence shown in Suanne’s essay is provided from the student’s experience, she gives examples of methods that could be used to help disabled students feel part of the university environment. She suggest that the use of a personal tutor can give the student a connection to the member of staff that is approachable and they perhaps feel happy to share concerns with and will feel understood. I have witnessed this in practice with the students I support. When a student can express themselves to a teacher without the worry of being misunderstood their self-esteem grows they are likely to gain a higher connection to their work.

I believe by equipping the staff with tools to provide an inclusive environment, all students will benefit. By having a diverse cohort of students they can learn from each other and add to their studio community. ‘…encouraging my students and other to grow, to be empowered by and through each other and make a positive impact upon their communities.’ (2012 p.60)

The table below shows six factors that have been highlighted to be contributing to the exclusion of disabled students in higher education. (2012 p 62)

.

.

.

.

For the Love of Learning: Innovations from Outstanding University Teachers. Edited by Tim Bilham 2013 PALGRAVE MACMILLAN, Hampshire.