My 6-and-a-half minute Introduction.

Hello Everyone,

First of all, I would like to say sorry for not being at the discussion on Wednesday. It is a real shame to be missing all your presentations and getting to know you all. I am recreating my 6-and-a-half-minute speech through images and text on my ‘arts blog’.

My name is Rose Williams and I am a support worker for students with disabilities at UAL. Currently, I work at UAL 3 days a week and all other spare time is spent on growing my screen print studio, Make Good Prints.

My background is in screen printing, a technique I fell in love with at school and have carried it on all through university to my current work.

I studied Fashion and Textiles at Winchester School of Art and specialised in printed textiles. After graduating I worked as a print production manager for a fashion brand called Draw in Light. Here are a couple of images showing the production and finished results I was involved in.

One of my favorite pieces was this silk scarf, we screen printed the outline and then hand painted using a range of 15 colours to paint in sections of colour. We produced 20 meters on this fabric and it was sold in liberties and other boutique shops in all over England. After gaining huge experience at Draw In Light for 2 years I decided to commit to my own print studio and support work.

For the last 3 years, my partner Oliver Chapman and I have run our studio at Queen Road Peckham. Make Good Print Co is an independently run design and print studio that specialise in providing a print service to a wide client base. We work with a range of small local charities and stores to larger companies like Bompus & Parr or Urban Outfitters.

www.makegoodprints.com

We recently worked with Bompus & Parr on a unique invitation. We used specialist ink that only reveals itself in the direct sunlight.  Here is a little video on People of Prints website to explain the project.

Click Here 

Alongside our print service, we also organise and run live printing event. Last year at Valentines we set up shop at Anthropologie store in Marylebone to conduct a mono screen printing class. I am especially drawn this part of Make Goods work as I get to teach people about a technique I love.

These images show the work I do at Make Good Print Co.

My teaching at UAL.

Having been a support worker at UAL for the last 2 years I have been working to remove the barriers that students with disabilities face and supporting them to work as independently as possible during their studies in Higher Education.

My role involves the restructure of a brief in a simpler format to help my students understand and interpret the task independently. I encourage conversation as a means of coming up with ideas, using questionnaires and workshops to construct a personal response to the brief they are given.

From brief through to completion I support my students with step-by-step instructions and practical teaching, creating a familiar framework in which to operate. I appreciate the importance of peer-to-peer learning within a comfortable working environment and have worked to create this for my students within the University Campus.

The current student I support is on the IVM at LCC. He is in his third year and has Asperges. I love working with Francis and learned so much from him and my support work.

Thank you for listening/ reading and I look forward to meeting you next session. Rose.